Anyone have any good parallel parking tips? My test is coming up and I don't want to fail. I know I can pass everything else but I was never really good at backing up from the start. Up until now i've just been pulling up steering wheel to steering wheel, start turning automatically then once my right rear view mirror hits their bumper I start turning the other way and slide in. This is alright and I get it about 75% of the time but i'm looking for other ways so I can get it perfect on the test. I know there's some good drivers on here so help me out!
If a 410 pound gorilla is running east towards the White House at 22 mph, and Whoopi Goldberg is 27 miles behind the gorilla, pursuing him on a motorcycle at 68 mph, how much acid did I do? - Trent_Palmer
How the fuck do you go to sleep knowing you're going to hit Chad's Gap the next day? - Rowen
I don't know what any of those videos say, so im probably just rephrasing this, but here's my advice
1. practice. the more you do it, in YOUR car, the better it will be. my cars way different to park than most peoples, but i know how to park it, it just takes time.
2. mirror to mirror. align your mirror with the car you want to park behind
3. roughly 1 metre in between you two (3 or 4 feet, maybe a bit more)
4. start to reverse, just like let the car roll, once the tires move a tiny bit (SLOWLY) turn until you are 45 degrees. (basically get to a good angle. you need to find out a good angle by yourself though really)
5. straighten your wheels, go straight back at that angle
6. once you think you're about 3 feet, maybe less, from the curb, start to slowly, then quickly turn your wheel to the left again, only about a half turn i think
7. you should almost be able to bring your front wheels right into the curb. then just back up and straighten your wheels
those are very vague, but like i said, thats how i parallel park, you really need to figure out how to do it yourself with your own car
here in austria, these badasses are the main transport device of "our" army. i was there as a driver during my mandatory service and lets just say that i am not a good driver and hadnt driven very much before my time in the army.
long story short, i failed at parallel parking in the military driving license test (kinda ironic) and had to stay at this base alone for one week and practice parallel parking ALL fucking day. needless to mention that these things dont have steering boosters and the steering wheels are as big as in a truck. i had weals on my hands and cramps in my arms the whole week.
but to help you: the point where you have to turn differs a bit from car to car and obviously my experience is not gonna help you there, but if you have to readjust (go forward again), just turn the steering wheel in the other direction just before you start to go back again (so the wheels are better positioned when you start going back). pretty simple tip that could save your life (although idk if you have to make it in one try)
in all seriousness, i read that 3 times, 1st time i thought what the fuck is he on about, read it again and thought, this fuckbag has to be kidding, read it once more and decided calling you a fuckbag wasnt good enough - sick-as-aids
#6. Once your car is at the 45 degree angle and you're backing up straight. You wait until your bumper has passed the rear bumper of the parked car and that's when you turn your wheels sharply to the left. Keep it sharp until you can see the curb in your right mirror then back slowly while straighting the wheels. Pull forward and don't forget full parking on your test. Here it's 5 points off everytime you don't go full parking.
stay steezy kids __________________________________________
B n D 777.
1. TURN SIGNAL!!!!!
2. Pull up next to car (mirror to mirror)
3. Turn wheel as far as you can to the right
4. Start backing up while looking in passenger mirror until you see the curb. STOP!
5. Turn wheel in the other direction and the car will ease in the spot.
6. Pull forward slightly until you're in the center of the spot.
7. Straighten out the wheel, then throw it in park.
Before you pull out make sure you use your turn signal!!!
*I got a perfect on my drivers test and these were the instructions my driving instructor gave me.
well in maine the test is to park behind a car, but there is no car behind you and your allowed to go as far back as you want. the only way you can fail this portion of the test is if you hit the curb. if you do hit the curb, you are allowed 2 more tries to get it. perhaps the easiest thing in the world. you don't even have to worry about hitting the curb, you just pull up then reverse it forever then pull in straight and normal its ridiculous and completley legit to do.
anyways, its not hard to parallel park, and there is no way to give you tips about where your mirrors will line up etc. just go practice 500 million times in your street and get a feel for your car. all driving is is vehicle awareness, knowing where your car is in relation to everything else 100% of the time. when you dont know where your car is in relation to everything else, you usually end up hitting something. so just figure out how your car cuts when you turn the wheel in reverse, etc and create reference points on your vehicle itself, not the mirrors. because mirrors change, and aren't always in the same position even when you think they are.
[Sanjuro has just killed two men and cut the arm off a third]