The third of four sets of Olympic freeski medals were decided today in the halfpipe of PyeongChang. The pipe looks incredible and on that basis, the men's event is going to be totally bonkers, with qualifiers in a couple of hours and finals in a couple of days. There really was only ever going to be one winner in the women's event and so it proved. Simply put, nobody has a run that can match Cassie Sharpe on her day. There were a ton of really young skiers killing it though and that is a good sign for the future. Kexin Jhang had 3 switch hits back to back and, along with Valeriya Demidova, was making the future look good.
Run 1 Highlights:
- Valeriya Demidova: Alleyoop seatbelt, left 5, straight air, left 7, switch 1, switch ao 3, right 7. 79.7 nice run but not great on the grabs.
- Sabrina Cakmakli: Switch 7, left 5, right 5, straight air japan, right 7, b2b switch 5. 74.2.
- Annalisa Drew: Right 9, left 9 tail, alleyoop 5, left 5, straight air safety, left 7. No grabs but better amplitude. 86.
- Brita Sigourney: Straight air mute, ao japan (15ft), 9 tail (miss?), alleyoop 5, right 7. 89.8.
- Marie Martinod: Tailgrab, left 5, right 5 lead mute, 9 tindy, flair safety, right 7 safety (touch). Better grabs but lower amplitude than Brita... 92.2.
- Cassie Sharpe: Straight air mute, right 9 tail (whiffed), left flair safety, 3 safety, switch 3 mute, big straight air truck, left 9 tail (missed?). 94.4.
- Valeriya Demidova: Right flair, left 5, alleyoop mute, left 7, switch 180 safety, sw ao 3, right 7 boot grab. 80.6.
- Marie Martinod: Tail, left 5 safety, flair, left 9 safety,right 5 lead mute, left 10 safety. 92.6.
- Cassie Sharpe: Left 9 tail, right 9 (missed?), flair tindy, 360, switch 3, straight air trucker, left 10 tail/tindy. 95.8. At this point it was pretty much over.
- Kexin Zhang: AO 3 mute, b2b switch 5, right 5 mute, left 5 safe, right 7. Struggled on her grabs but at 15 she is going to be a serious threat in a couple of years.
- Maddie Bowman: Straight air mute, left 5 tail, right 7 mute, switch 7, right 5 high safety, left 9 tail, right 9 but no, it's a crash. All three runs today she crashed on that hit on what was almost certainly a medal run.
- Ayana Onozuka: 9 safety, right 5 safety, left 7 safety, switch 7, left 5 mute, right 7 (shuffled). Some whiffed grabs though and it's not a podium. 82.2.
- Annalisa Drew: Right 9, left 9, ao flat 5, left 5 mute, safety, big straight air safety, 1080. No grabs though. 90.8.
- Brita Sigourney: Straight air mute, Alleyoop japan, 9 tail (touch), A0 5 safety, 5 mute, 7 mute (touch). Grabs better than Annalisa, better amplitude. 91.6.
- Marie Martinod: Tailgrab, left 5 safety, right 5 lead, 9 safety, flair (crash).
Gold: Cassie Sharpe
Silver: Marie Martinod
Bronze: Brita Sigourney
4. Annalisa Drew
5. Ayana Onozuka
6. Valeriya Demidova
7. Rowan Cheshire
8. Sabrina Cakmakli
9. Kexin Zhang
10. Rosalind Groenewoud
11. Maddie Bowman