I've decided that starting next summer, or winter at the latest, I want to go off grid and just focus on nothing but skiing and hunting for a couple years. I have a good amount of money saved up but my plan is to work on a wildland fire crew in the summer and then work part time during the winter at a mountain (ideally Baker).
My budget for living situation is about 60k.
If you were going to live completely off grid and had 60k to spend on a camper, van, bus, or whatever, what would you choose and why?
Some important details are:
- I already have a full size pickup thats pretty new (crew cab w/ 8ft bed)
- I will have a large dog with me (110lb Akita)
- I would like to be able to bring a decent amount of tools with me (I'm a general contractor and might want to pick up some side jobs throughout the year)
- I would like to be able to take hot showers (dont care if its inside or outside, as long as I have hot water)
- I will be living in this setup for at least a full year, maybe 2 or 3
- Would be nice to have room for 2 people so my gf can come stay with me for a few days here and there
- It has to be mobile
Tell me what your idea of the dream ski bum setup is!
If anyone has any advice about the best winter jobs that would allow me to work only 2-3 days a week, that would be cool. I'd really like to get a patrol job but I haven't looked into it much yet.
Any other relevant advice from those with experience doing this would be great!