1) What is your budget? How much money can you spend right away, and do you think you can get more money to invest in the future?
1. Budget for just the raw camera I wouldn't like to go over 1000$ but the setup in its entirety (lenses lights extras) about 2.5k$
2) What experience do you already have with cameras? Have you ever even used one before? Have you helped your friend out with his camera? Have you owned your own?
2. Not much, I've used phone cameras :clown
3) What gear, if any, do you currently have? (tripod, old camera lenses, mics, etc)
4) What are you planning to shoot and how do you want to use your camera? Are you going to use this with the sole purpose of shooting skiing? or do you think you might try other stuff as well (movies, documentaries, short films, etc)
4. Skiing/B-roll (for edits and mini films)
5) Do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
5. I would like to be doing the filming mostly.
6) When filming skiing, how do you tend to shoot? (follow cams, leave it on record on a tripod and hike, film from a tripod, etc)
6. follow and tripod.
7) What computer do you currently have/use to edit (if not currently editing, what would you most likely use)? If you can provide specifics, such as hard drive space, RAM, processor size, that would be great.
7. 2008 mac and a slightly new ASUS laptop.i7 nvidia. geforce 920mx
8) What program do you currently edit on? How familiar are you with it (1- just learning; 10- I can make tutorials and know the keyboard layout)
8. I've used iMovie(3-10) I could get sony vegas though. but I'de be a 1
---------------------------Optional Section, for those seeking a more intensive upgrade/purchase------------------------
1) Do you think you might consider using a DSLR?
if it fits my price range
2) Do you have any knowledge about the HDSLRS?
3) Do you know the limitations to using HDSLRS?
4) Are you willing to take the time to learn about a DSLR, and how to shoot with manual lenses?
5) Again, do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
I will be doing all the filming that's not a shot of myself ideally.