I am going to be staying at Whistler (first time ever) from April 9th-12th and wanted to get some feedback on how to get the most out of the trip. I will be staying in upper village (Town Plaza Suites Condo) and will be skiing for 3 days. Basically I am wondering the following....
1. Of the two mountains (Whistler & Backcomb) which is better for what? and why? Looking to ski natural lines all morning and lap the park in the afternoon.
2. What runs / lifts should I focus on utilizing? I am an advanced skier seeking out the most unique natural terrain (i.e. cliffs, trees, chutes, etc.) but within reasonable levels of safety for my friends who are intermediates. I am also looking to avoid any lifts that get pressured and would eat up our time on the mountain. Are there any guides or trail maps worth purchasing?
3. What kind of weather and snow conditions should I plan for in early April? Assuming bring layers as it will be semi-cold in the AM with spring slush or corn by by mid-day?
4. Where is the closest and cheapest supermarket to stock up on food for the room? What are the best Apres to eat and drink at? Nightclubs? Watering Holes? We are all 24-26 year old's. What is the best form of travel to and from? Is walking to popular venues realistic with staying in upper village? I will have a rental car but will prefer to walk or take shuttles as much as possible.
5. Are there any cool places to stop and sight see on the drive from Vancouver Airport to Whistler that would be worth stopping at?
6. What width skis should I take? 102mm? 114mm? 120+?
7. WSSF (World Ski and Snowboard Festival) will be in town. Should I look to make it to any of these events? If so which ones? Anything I need to watch out for because of the festival?
8. Is FRESH TRACKS worth it? Does it really only cost $20
9. What are the best ski shops / boot-fitters in the area if I wanted to check them out or needed to get work done?
I guess that's all for now... If I think of something else I'll post it up. Thanks to all ahead of time for your insight as it will be greatly appreciated!
+K TO ALL