first off, i call it the frankenski
so a series of unfortunate events happened to me, the worst one being me going mach 9 potato down a big canyon that leads into one cat track, and this guy wiggles his way next to me, clips me, and i tomahawk completely snapping my ski. i was thrown off the cat track, the ski about 24 feet from me, and bfishs head almost taken off. the ski was gonzo, flappy as a fish. not even remotely rideable.. so, i kind of worked my way through it, and thought this mini process could maybe help others with snapped tips and tails.
the first thing i did was replace the grains of would i could back together and kind of re-intertwine them. i then mixed up some epoxy and covered every little spot i could find.
i then clamped the piss out of it. i could not get those clamps to go any tighter. i then added some weight in an attempt to make the rocker back to normal while the epoxy was drying/curing.
once the epoxy was done, i took a chisel and flathead screwdriver and scraped the excess epoxy off
the sidewalls, topsheet, and edges.
here is the result, top ski being the one that was hammered, bottom being the normal ski. not bad i guess for just epoxy.
i then found a metal plate that is used for building trusses, and decided to put it to good use. i couldnt find any 1/4 inch or less screws so i had to take 1/2 inchers and cut them down. i drilled a pilot hole, then put epoxy in there to keep the water from getting in and also give a little more screw retention.
finished product ^
I tested it out yesterday and it rode almost like normal. just a little more swing weight on the one ski. it handled high speeds fine, turning was fine, cliffs were great. however, i didnt do any butters or jibs lol as im trying to make this last as long as possible. when i did a hand flex test, it felt good. i did manage to do a nose press in the lift line and it all held up fine.
maybe this thread will help others who have broken skis, maybe not. oh well