Welcome to the Newschoolers forums! You may read the forums as a guest, however you must be a registered member to post.
Register to become a member today!
What does they not understand
This is a bit of a rant but I don't know why most ski mountains don't focus a lot of energy and time into their parks. A lot of mountains have the rails and space to put in some clean fun lines but they neglect to do so. What I don't understand is that the park skiing community in the east loves Mt. Snow and Killington and the mountains who consistently have nice parks. Us skiers spend our money to go to those mountains. Why doesn't Gore Mtn (large mountain with shitty parks) spend the time and money. It's a win-win. Skiers can have fun and the mountain will attract more skiers.
Yes, I understand the top has a grammatical error....
This thread again...
1. Resorts don't care about YOU. They care about MOOOONNNEEEEYYYYY. Park generates 3-5% of revenue only, not to mention the 50 000 it costs to build it. Parks dont attract 30-65 customers; the actual paying client.
2. Insurance is damn expensive. Customers sue ski resorts for nothing. To avoid even more risks of lawsuits, preventable obstacles must be eliminated. That reduces the annual rate of insurance by quite a bit.
3. Owners are rarely skiers. They don't know the difference between a powder ski and a carve ski. They dont care if the conditions are shit, or the mountain is a garbage pile. As long as people are coming, they will keep it up.
4. Volunteer some of your time. If the park is shit, make it better. Need permission? get it! Dont come up the day of your session, schedule a meeting with a plan and talk over your ideas for improvement. Just go out there and make it look good, try better tricks and get people into the park. Get the kids interested so that a demand for a better park is created.
5. travel lots. You can "graduate" from a hill. Most pros that come from small time hills move to bigger mountains to develop their skills. If a mountain a little further has a better park, get a pass over there; its capitalism, you are free to ride where you want.
Your title sounds like Gollum is typing
All times are Eastern (-5)