User created content is the best idea in my mind. I think that classic direct advertising is too blatant and that banners, pre-video ads, etc. won't work very well because they just get in the way.
I imagine something that would be great would be an edit centered around a rider in that jacket. Imagine it to be like product placement.
Rough Outline of the edit (sorry that this might sound like camera jargon to some people):
- Opening lifestyle shots of a rider grabbing his gear, emphasis on shot of him grabbing the jacket and putting it on
- Lifestyles of the rider driving to the mtn or on a lift with some macro/lens whacking of different parts of the jacket spliced in (Check out 0:55 in this video for an idea of what I mean https://vimeo.com/32892147
- Generic establishing shot with the NS logo, the O'Neill logo, and Llama/Spork logo (basic idea)
- Actual skiing starts...
- During actual edit have a bunch of shots of the rider using the jacket (maybe a close up of him opening a zipper or something to get his phone to take a picture of another rider?)
- Lots of laughs and smiles, more of a feel good vibe than a technical-obsessed banger edit
- After skiing, close with the rider hanging up his gear, end on a shot of him hanging up his coat and walking into the background (out of focus, focus stays on the jacket) and the rider grabs a beer or something and sits down and chills - Overlay logos of NS and O'Neill.
Here's a good idea of the type of video that I'd imagine, at least the "lifestyle" aspects of it, since there would be skiing, too.
Why do I think it's the best?
- Gets the community involved - NS rider(s) in the edit, filmer should be an NS producer, etc.
- Isn't blatant advertising - Banners and pre-video ads are forced advertising, this is basically just product placement
- Viewer wants to watch this video - People will choose to and WANT to watch a short edit of an NS rider slaying, which can't be said about any formal ads
- Still gives a chance to show the versatility and technicality of the jacket - It's in good use!
Perfect way to promote great gear!