1. First off, don't scam people. do you really think it is worth it. you are going to get caught and end up having to give the item back and possibly more. if you don't think this is true, ask BOOM.
2. If you are buying/trading, make sure the person takes a legit picture with their name in it. this proves that they own the item and they are most likely legit.
3. Get more than just there address and name. get their facebook account, their phone number, and even their parents phone number if you think it is necessary.
4. this is pretty simple. if they have no feedback, no karma, and have only been a member for a short time, make them send their item first or don't trade with them.
5. if they have feedback from the first day they became a member (gnarskier) don't buy from them. they are an alias
6. ALWAYS get a tracking number. You have no proof that someone has scammed you if you don't have a tracking number.
7. Don't be afraid to contact the police if you are positive that they are scamming you.
8. lastly, if you know you are being scammed, look on their profile for their region. you will find other people from there to help you get your stuff back.
Again, if you think this thread is not necessary you can delete it.