pat_in_the_hatanybody do any FPV flying? ive been really wanting to get into it lately. thinking about getting the bixler 3 (since my latest plane is out of service) and this FPV system
plus the $30 diy goggles.
Seems like a semicheap way to get into FPV.
I learned the hard way about FPV.
Here are my tips-
1. Know how to fly the thing before you put the FPV on it.
2. Weight is extremely important when mounting equipment so place things evenly throughout the plane/Heli. If you are nose or tail heavy then you may be able to adjust the servo so the elevator counteracts the weight but that is a half-ass way of going about it.
3. Modify the craft around the FPV, so everything fits good. That is why the bixler is such a good setup. It has a wide wing span which allows for lots of lift and stability plus you can stick pretty much everything inside which is nice in the off chance that you crash.
4. Antenna location is very important as well. You would be shocked at how much better of a signal you will get if the antenna is pointed in your direction.
5. Don't expect to be able to fly 10 miles away, it just won't happen. Depending on what you have for a receiver and remote your video will cut out before your control.
6. While going cheap is ok, don't go too cheap. (Just like in skiing, you get what you pay for.)