1) I'm looking to spend less than $500 but will be able to invest more in the future
2) I've had experience with a DSLR as my dad has one and I mess around with it a lot...I would be using that to film but he won't let me take it to the hill. FML...I've always enjoyed filming and a camcorder seems to be for me.
3) I have a shitty ass tripod and will be investing in a fluid head tripod in the future. Other than that I can't think of any other camera related equipment I have (besides a bag).
4) This cam will mostly be used for shooting skiing, especially in low light. Good low light quality is important to me ATM. Short movies may want to be filmed with this camera.
5) I will mostly be doing all the filming but may want my friend to just hit record when the cam is on the tripod or something. Otherwise it can have a lot of features that may take some time to learn.
6) I'd like to experiment with multiple different filming techniques, whether they are follow cams, tripod shots, etc..
7 ) I have a 27" MAC from last year. Not sure on specifics but its pretty fast. I will be using iMovie but really want to invest in Final Cut Pro in the near future.
For now...no DSLRs
I'd REALLY like some opinions on Canon Vixia models, specifically the HF S10/100/11 or HF S20/200/21
Thanks in advance M&A!