We've been hard at working making a next level video & picture gallery, and I'm happy to announce we are nearly ready. I know this change has been mentioned severl times before, but we really are getting close to launch. We expect to launch around the end of May or early June.
The new galleries were built to be easiser to use, faster and more customizable. We've tried to improve just about every aspect of the galleries from the uploader, media manager, NSTV channels, etc... Check out some of the screenshots and descriptions below.
** NOTE: We aren't done!
The screencaps below are fully working, but not polished. The gallery will loook prettier when it's actually ready :)
Picture / Video Gallery Browsing
Here is a smple of browsing for Picutres in the global picture gallery. Note that Search hasn't yet been added. Also, on the rights ide are a list of channels. The galleries now have links for going directly to the Video, NSTV or Picture sections.
Watching A Video
When you watch a video or view a picture, the Playlist will show you other media from that channel, or you may pick other channels.
If you are asking what a Channel is, basically it's a group of media any member can make. You will no longer have to save your media to one of 10 categories like today. You can instead make custom Channels and sort your media in those! Here is a screenshot of my personal profile with 3 custom channels.
Here is an improved NSTV page. The channel listing on the right will show all the current premium channels, as well as all member channels too. So YOU get to be in NSTV!
More New Features
- Any member may make channels. You can have as many as you want. They will all show up in your profile gallery.
- There is no Private / Public option anymore. Instead, uploaded media is default Private. When you tag media to a channel, it's automatically made Public. If you remove that media from it's last channel, it's made Private again.
- Any Picture and Video you upload can go in your gallery. If you upload a video to a video contest, or a picture to a review, you will see them in your media manager and can put those into channels!
- Shared Channels are available for members to contribute to. A shared channel are like the ones you see in the first screenshot. Cults will also have galleries that cult members may contribute to!
- The picture & video uploader will tell you how long you have left for your upload! When uploading pictures, you may even select multiple pictures at the same time for faster uploading. (Safari, Firefox and Chrome Only).
- Videos will now be encoded in 720p HD and served from a Yahoo certified CDN (Content Delivery Network), so streaming videos will always be fast and reliable!
Your Media Will Be Kept
The last thing is that all your existing media will be kept when we launch the new galleries! Your pictures and videos will be copied over and made Private / Public as appropriate. We will also be updating all the blog posts, forums posts, etc... to link to the new media instead of the old galleries.
Also, any videos uploaded in the last few months will be transcoded to 720p. ;)
So that's it for now. We'll post another update on our progress once we are nearly ready for launch.
Thanks for reading!