1) What is your budget? How much money can you spend right away, and do you think you can get more money to invest in the future?
Looking to spend no more that $800.00 at the very most
2) What experience do you already have with cameras? Have you ever even used one before? Have you helped your friend out with his camera? Have you owned your own?
I do a fair amount of filming with my Canon Vixia HSF100 but never have really done Photo. I have had a D40 but sold it because I had no direction at the time,
2) What gear, if any, do you currently have? (tripod, old camera lenses, mics, etc)
4) What are you planning to shoot and how do you want to use your camera? Are you going to use this with the sole purpose of shooting skiing? or do you think you might try other stuff as well (movies, documentaries, short films, etc)
I would be using it for its still, not as a video camera. I would shoot a fair amount of skiing, mostly backcountry (hopefully). But mostly I would like to use it for art purposes, it is yet to be discovered what kinda art photos.
5) Do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
I will be doing the shooting/filming it would be nice to be able to hand it to my friends and have them take shots but thats what the auto mode is for i suppose.
6) When filming skiing, how do you tend to shoot? (follow cams, leave it on record on a tripod and hike, film from a tripod, etc)
Film from a tripod
7) What computer do you currently have/use to edit (if not currently editing, what would you most likely use)? If you can provide specifics, such as hard drive space, RAM, processor size, that would be great.
I have a macbook pro. 4gigs of ram. 2.4 GHz intel core i% processor.
7) What program do you currently edit on? How familiar are you with it (1- just learning; 10- I can make tutorials and know the keyboard layout)
I know FCP very well but have never worked with photoshop. so 1 on photoshop.