I already understand that some/most of the question I will be asking have already been covered to an extent, but try to bear with me. When it comes to filming/editing, I am pretty much a n00b. I have a GoPro HD, iMovie, and a Nikon D90 to work with (currently)
A few basic question's I have are:
1. Working with iMovie an a GoPro, will I be able to get the most out of the GoPro HD quality wise over a nicer editing program/software.
2. I want to get a nice camcorder in the near future, but don't know enough about cameras as far as what to look for, what to avoid, which brands to go with, lens, ect. Any advice here would be extremely helpful.
3. I understand some basic camera/editing terms, but want to learn more. Should I just read the shit out of the manual, or is there a good filming website/forum I could go too?
4. If I were able to get a new editing program, what would you recomend?
1337's Camera Questionnaire
1) What is your budget? How much money can you spend right away, and do you think you can get more money to invest in the future?
For a camera, somewhere around $1,500. I could get more money in the future.
2) What experience do you already have with cameras? Have you ever even used one before? Have you helped your friend out with his camera? Have you owned your own?
Little with camcorders, but a bit with my Nikon D90/GoProHD
2) What gear, if any, do you currently have? (tripod, old camera lenses, mics, etc)
4) What are you planning to shoot and how do you want to use your camera? Are you going to use this with the sole purpose of shooting skiing? or do you think you might try other stuff as well (movies, documentaries, short films, etc)
Mostly skiing, but maybe some longboarding and short films in the future.
5) Do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
That would be preferable.
6) When filming skiing, how do you tend to shoot? (follow cams, leave it on record on a tripod and hike, film from a tripod, etc)
7) What computer do you currently have/use to edit (if not currently editing, what would you most likely use)? If you can provide specifics, such as hard drive space, RAM, processor size, that would be great.
MacBook. I don't know the other, but if needed, I could find out.
7) What program do you currently edit on? How familiar are you with it (1- just learning; 10- I can make tutorials and know the keyboard layout)
Now a few questions about filming
1. Since I have a GoPro HD, I would like to become better at followcams with that. What is the best way to do them?
2. The first few shots of the t-bar in this edit, there is a panning effect as the shot goes on. Is the cameraman zooming out as he films, or is it an editing effect?
Momentum 2010 Camper Edit from DownToFilm. on Vimeo.
4. If I want to Torrent a editing program on a MacBook, how do I do it? I have not the slightest clue how the program works.
That's all for now NS, +k for anyone who takes the time to answer some of these questions!!!