As an Energy concentration major graduate, I think the gas emails and people complaining about price increase is absolutely absurd. First off, the average cost of a gallon of gas in the world is around $6, and we complain when it rises to half that. Secondly, let's compare how much gas costs per gallon compared to things that ARE RENEWABLE, unlike gas:
- A cup of coffee: $1.29 at Dunkin Donuts. Per gallon, that is over $10/gallon!
- Filtered/Bottled Water: $1.50 for a 20 ounce Evian. Per Gallon: over $10. if you buy it in a gallon, it is perhaps $5. This is WATER! the most abundant, renewable thing on earth!
- Milk, about $350-$4.00/gallon! we cry about gas that costs less than cow juice!
- Orange Juice: $5-6/gallon of good stuff
- Alcohol: even the cheapest beer is $5-6 a gallon. Renewable!
The point is, somehow we are upset that we are using a non-renewable resource that took hundreds of thousands of years to make for less than all our renewable resources, and we are upset about it!
Let's stop being so greedy and self-privileged and join with the rest of the world in being more environmentally conservation and cautious. I know it is hard to think about future generations, but guess what... according to the EIA (Energy Information Administration) we are at peak oil production. if we continue on our current rate, there won't be petroleum in 50 years...