Hey there NS. As the season is coming to an end I'm finding myself looking to do more photography than just skiing. I currently just use my iPhone and have been loving it but I'm ready for something real.
So I took Walters Q and A and filled out my A. I would love any advice!
1) What is your budget? How much money can you spend right away, and do you think you can get more money to invest in the future?
Starting out I'm willing to drop between $300-$600. TOPS is $700 right now with my budgeting and living situation.
2) What experience do you already have with cameras? Have you ever even used one before? Have you helped your friend out with his camera? Have you owned your own?
I have basic knowledge. I used to play around with my ex girlfriends rebel at the skatepark. I prefer manual focusing from what I have done but that's really about it as of right now outside my iPhone.
2) What gear, if any, do you currently have? (tripod, old camera lenses, mics, etc)
4) What are you planning to shoot and how do you want to use your camera? Are you going to use this with the sole purpose of shooting skiing? or do you think you might try other stuff as well (movies, documentaries, short films, etc)
I wanna focus on snow sports but I do tend to do a lot of hiking and a little camping in the summer, so maybe some nature shots with trails, mountains, animals etc. idk how much filming I want to do but I do know I wanna do a little bit.
5) Do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
I would like to have them help. Not all the time but every once in awhile I would like for someone to help me get my shots too.
6) When filming skiing, how do you tend to shoot? (follow cams, leave it on record on a tripod and hike, film from a tripod, etc)
With filming it would be follow shots and tripod shots.
7) What computer do you currently have/use to edit (if not currently editing, what would you most likely use)? If you can provide specifics, such as hard drive space, RAM, processor size, that would be great.
I use a MacBook Pro. My gfs dad added a larger ram and hard drive about a year ago but I'm probably gunna be getting a new computer too(advice with these bad boys helps as well)
7) What program do you currently edit on? How familiar are you with it (1- just learning; 10- I can make tutorials and know the keyboard layout)
Instagram.. So a solid 1.