Doc.stompenomicsTeaching is pretty good fun, its always rewarding to see a kid or adult get something after trying it a few times. Ive got a few useful pointers for you:
- they are there to have fun, and most are not interested in the biomechanics of skiing so get rid of the tech talk for adults and especially kids
- Make sure the kids are always jacked up. If a kid goes quiet, there is usually something wrong so handle them especially
- With parents, get them away fast as they really throw your lesson off. The kid will focus, see his mum and then all your hard work has gone out the window. You have the right to say go away.
- Its awesome to see someone get something but you will only see vast improvement in the first few progressions. If someone doesnt get something, use that bag of ski drills till they do. If they feel loved in a group, then thats a plus
- Adults love to have something to work on so if you have a big group of people and one adult is streaks ahead, just mention something for a few seconds to let them know you are working with them too, not just their partner who moves slower than growing grass.
- Its good fun but prepare to be tired at the end of most days, especially with kids. Essentially you have to be a cartoon character for them, full of energy from the get go. Get used to that and always, always relate it to games. If a kid gets bored, youre done for the day.
- USE HOT CHOCOLATE. Its bloody useful. Gives you a rest and makes you look like the good guy.
- Let the arrogant adults be arrogant, they think they know so dont argue, it can make your day go easier if you just let it go.
- Other than that, remember its just skiing so dont get too hyped over some kid not listening, take it easy and always remember that guest services deals with complaints, not you.
Get on it! Heaps of free time to go muck about if youre not teaching. I could go on forever but give it ago and see how it works out.
Thanks man! Lots of good info.
"If you stare long enough it's like I'm looking into your soul, silently judging you because of how often you masturbate."-Aidan-G