CONTRASTING TRAITS & TENDENCIES (MEN VS.WOMEN)
* Ego orientated; their ability is focused on out-performing others.
* They want to be challenged and succeed in front of the group.
* Male vocabulary: "gnarly, awesome, death-defying, challenging, speed".
* They are typically powerful and strong..... They are the "protectors".
* Most are self reliant, but at the same time they want to be appreciated and noticed.
* Many see themselves as the "Knight in Shining Armor".
* The price of their toys equals their status!
* They tend to expect success rather than hope for success.
* Mastery/task orientation: The process is as important as the outcome.
* They tend to dwell in the task or process, sometimes losing sight of the goal.
* They want specific, constructive feedback!
* Female vocabulary: "grace, beauty, elegance, finesse".
* They are typically calculated and precise, using finesse rather than force.
* Most are gentle and understanding..... They are the "Nurturers".
* They typically spend time & money on family first, themselves last.
* Women want good value for their money spent!
* They tend to "hope for" success rather than "expect" success.
WHAT DO THE SEXES WANT?
* Stroke them, let them prove their abilities.
* Ask them about themselves, other sports.
* Perform at your best. Show that you are knowledgeable, assertive, skilled and capable.
* Be technical and together..... a "Master of the Sport"!
* Be up front and direct. No need to "sugar-coat it".
* Set up rewards and recognize good performance, like high 5’s or medals.
* Listen and attend to them and their ego.
* Keep challenging them.
* Be seen as good as instructor!
* Look them in the eye but don’t stare them down.
* Ask them about their family or home.
* Show that you care-sincerely!
* Know and use their name.
* Be patient, non-threatening, humble, non-condescending, gentle and understanding,
approachable, sensitive to their needs and wants, supportive and helpful.
* Set achievable tasks.
* Put them in situations where they are likely to feel safe and succeed.
* HAVE FUN!!!
About 50% of ski areas have women’s programs.
Women professionals are as successful as our male counterparts.
Women want a great experience, not a tea time!
Women are less self conscious when men are not present.
Women have a different style of learning—they relish technique and the finer points of the sport.
When women are surrounded by other women, intimidation is replaced by support and encouragement
Women prefer an environment where it is easier to express & confront their selfdoubt and/or fear.
Women help each other build confidence to attack the slopes.
Women are motivated by other women. They inspire each other! INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT WOMEN SKIERS:
Half of all women skied more last season because they had more time and money.
They would ski even more if they had more time, money and easier access.
Women choose where they ski based on snow conditions and terrain, not shopping!
71% of women skiers want more groomed slopes.
Women desire control, confidence and form, in that order. They don’t seek air and speed.
High performance is not their main motivation.
Women are divided almost evenly between the following: o Women who are content to ski down trails within their comfort level o Women who prefer the challenge of pushing themselves beyond their abilities
75% of women want more bathrooms!!
63% don’t care about valet parking.
Women tend to make the reservations, pack and cook during family trips.
Men tend to do the driving, but they both carry gear.
Women tend to buy unisex skis and women’s boots. However, this may be changing!
Women believe in and buy boot fitting devices.
Despite a gear phobic image—88% have their skis tuned regularly and 85% read product reviews.
Women buy women's specific skis.
And people wonder why there aren't more female park skiers, meanwhile attitudes like this still exist. The struggle is real.