if the rate of the population is 5%, then wouldn't you only have a 5% chance of contracting an STI every time you had a unique partner?
you would have a 95% chance of not contracting one. Assuming every single new parter is randomly selected and unique, it would be 5% every single time would it not? Because really the population size is so gigantic and for the sake of what we're arguing the sample size isn't going to really get "smaller" so compounding the percent doesn't seem to make sense here. But then again I'm in accounting, not statistics so please correct me, i'm just interested in the math. because i'm a numbers nerd.