I need a binding that Ill be mounting on a pair of 178 Pollards Opus, would love the ability to tour, but 95% of the time will be resort skiing, Ive heard dukes dukes are just too high off the ski, and it looks like trackers/guardians offer a lower stack height, recommendations?
The Tracker is heavier and the stack height on the Duke is 10mm higher
The Duke has been around for years and the Tracker is in its first year of production
Both bindings are going to ski really well in and out of bounds and both may have some quirks on long tours over time. I've had Dukes for years and haven't had any problems or complaints.
I have a pair of both. Havent toured on guardians yet but i would say cant go wrong with either. I would say the guardians have even more of a traditional binding feel but the dukes may be a little better for touring. but with 95% inbounds i would probably say guardian but as i said either would be fine for you. If you were gonna move up to about 85% inbounds i would say duke.
For 5% touring just get Trekkers. The cost, performance and weight advantages you'll gain for the other 95% of your skiing will be worth it. Set them up right, use them appropriately and they're not as bad as everyone makes out.
This. You can always remount later with a sidecountry binder if you get into it more.
To me, each of the bindings has a single drawback above the others. The Duke needs to be taken off to switch modes (so in deep snow it's either a balancing act or postholing). The Guardian has no flat touring mode (I use no risers on my Dynafits about 80% of the time that I am not breaking trail).
The weight isn't a big enough difference to mean much. The stack height might be noticeable, though, but I haven't skied the Guardian so I don't know how it feels.
Make my day.
You don't walk in and say "I'll take a extremeherpmicrobrewlight for three dollars." You walk in an say "give me three PBR's and someone hand me the peanuts." -Peach.
FWIW I disagree. I have had terrible experiences with Trekkers as have friends (admittedly I was on FKS bindings which are the least compatible). They're not called day wreckers for nothing. Think about the long term - if you really will only be doing a tiny bit of touring in the next couple of years then they may be the best option. However if you do get a taste for it and start doing a bit more slightly down the road (which i'd say is likely - touring is addictive) then trekkers will only be an annoying and unnecessary interim expense before you decide you want touring bindings anyway.
Exactly. Most of the shit about Trekkers comes from people who have never used them, or people who have set them up badly and blamed the system. Yeah it's not great but it works OK if you use it properly.
as I said though my older brothers have all used treckers and when I started to get into touring they told me to get dukes because they all had such bad experiances with them. If you think your going to get more into touring in the next few years then just get dukes or guardians because they will last a while and then you always have the touring option with you (never know when your skiing in bounds and might wanna do a quick tour beyond ropeline) and it is way easier to just carry skins and avy gear all day than skins, trekkers, and avy gear