Welcome to the Newschoolers forums! You may read the forums as a guest, however you must be a registered member to post.
Register to become a member today!
FILM, VIDEO, and the so-called "production company"
There appears to be a common misconception in the world of winter sports media between what really is FILM and what really is VIDEO. Because at one time I was guilty of the mislabeling that so often occurs I thought that I should admit my past and in doing so clear up the future.
FILM - 1 : a series of pictures projected on a screen in rapid succession with objects shown in successive positions slightly changed so as to produce the optical effect of a continuous picture in which the objects move
2 : a representation (as of a story) by means of motion pictures
A film is a perforated strip/reel of emulsion covered light sensitive material that when exposed to light results in a chemical reaction where the negative of an image is 'burned' into the emulsion of the film.
VIDEO - digital information recorded onto a reel of magnetic sensitive material. No chemical process needed to develop and expose image.
These definitions reveal the following:
1. A film means that your product was made on 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, or larger mm film stocks that include IMAX and large format stock.
2. A video means that you shot your product on miniDV, Beta, SHVS, VHS, DVCAM, DVCPRO, or DV.
3. A film company makes products on film. A video company makes products on those listed above. Don't confuse yourself and call your company a 'Film Company' if you aren't shooting film.
Finally the following:
1. A film, as defined by the Motion Picture Arts Association, is not a series of back to back shots of skiers doing tricks set to music, more specifically lined up on a beat. A film involves a plot line, character development, dialogue and or narration, a beginning, middle, end, etc, etc.
2. The skiing videos that you see saturating the market these days do not involve any of the above. They are pieces of video footage lined up to correspond with a predetermined beat and rhythm supplied by a song. Only a few companies out there really do make 'FILMS' and call themselves 'film companies' rightfully so.
Your video isn't a film so don't call it so.
i love country
fuck, now im gonna have to kill berman and johnny, and several other people all because they lied and called their videos films. im sorry guys but tomarrows gonna be a sad day for the ski industry. but i think we'll all be better off without these lying jackasses, dont you?
'Really, I gotta say that I'm glad you exist, 'cause if there wasn't there'd be noone to make fun of and diss.'
Solider in the NS ARMY
Rollers of NS unite!!!
603 for life
I'm conservative, just so you all know.
Member Number: 5172
Golden Wheel Chair Award 2004-09-21
well they do shoot in 16mm sometimes, but those fuckers who are in hi-def are DEAD
-let people do what they want, ski how you want, make whoever you want your role model its your choice
-i love to ski, so should you, its fun, try it sometime
-thats what the internet is for anonymously slandering people-jason lee
shut up,you're a tool. go die please
Aye Ern LUNG 04/05
wow thanks u jsut made my life better, oh no actually u didnt, did u really think this was nessasary?
yea, it started out with being called a film because well, they used film. then the term film started to go with movie. and the term now is interpreted by most people as a movie and they say its 'a film'. so it seems it has just gained another definition over the past century
Take me to your special place
Close your eyes, show me your face.....I'm gonna piss on it
hey melvs....aren't you a mod??? weird...MOTION PICTURE sounds even cooler
i hope harvey bans you just so i can piss on your digital grave.
we call ours a showing
'got caught with underage drinking and a bong. anyone know what charges i could be facing?' -keukawake
'being a badass, first degree'- Melvs
All times are Eastern (-4)