There appears to be a common misconception in the world of winter sports media between what really is FILM and what really is VIDEO. Because at one time I was guilty of the mislabeling that so often occurs I thought that I should admit my past and in doing so clear up the future.
FILM - 1 : a series of pictures projected on a screen in rapid succession with objects shown in successive positions slightly changed so as to produce the optical effect of a continuous picture in which the objects move
2 : a representation (as of a story) by means of motion pictures
A film is a perforated strip/reel of emulsion covered light sensitive material that when exposed to light results in a chemical reaction where the negative of an image is 'burned' into the emulsion of the film.
VIDEO - digital information recorded onto a reel of magnetic sensitive material. No chemical process needed to develop and expose image.
These definitions reveal the following:
1. A film means that your product was made on 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, or larger mm film stocks that include IMAX and large format stock.
2. A video means that you shot your product on miniDV, Beta, SHVS, VHS, DVCAM, DVCPRO, or DV.
3. A film company makes products on film. A video company makes products on those listed above. Don't confuse yourself and call your company a 'Film Company' if you aren't shooting film.
Finally the following:
1. A film, as defined by the Motion Picture Arts Association, is not a series of back to back shots of skiers doing tricks set to music, more specifically lined up on a beat. A film involves a plot line, character development, dialogue and or narration, a beginning, middle, end, etc, etc.
2. The skiing videos that you see saturating the market these days do not involve any of the above. They are pieces of video footage lined up to correspond with a predetermined beat and rhythm supplied by a song. Only a few companies out there really do make 'FILMS' and call themselves 'film companies' rightfully so.
Your video isn't a film so don't call it so.
i love country