I'm writing a paper currently, but this has been on my mind a lot. I love level 1 and would hate to see it be burned to the ground by a company that has clearly lost its way, having just finished arbitration with its namesake founder.
If they pursue Level 1 legally, a few things we will need to do as a community.
1. Make a point to convince every NS member, relative, friend, acquaintance (this should INCLUDE ATHLETES) to not purchase their films, see their movies in theaters, or ski in their movies, or purchase their swag.
2. WRITE TO YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPERS, BLOG-SPHERES, FORUM SITES (this includes the snowboarder's too). POLITELY remind them what WME has done (lawsuit and arbitration and the absurdity of it), comment on the greatness of level 1, declare your loyalty, and argue for others to join in as well. The more press the better. The more quantitative and cited the better. USE YOUR SCHOOL SKILLS PEOPLE.
3. LEGALLY protest the premieres. This includes checking in with police ahead of time and obtaining protesting permits. POLITELY state your opinion, offer fliers with clear, cited information and ways to assist Level 1, and what wrongs WME has committed. The trial is a matter of public record, it can be cited.
4. create a site that presents impartial and unbiased information about the lawsuit and encourage people to pledge not to see a WME film until the lawsuit is finalized. This needs to be done separately from NS, as the site is now a part of Powder, which should (must?) remain unbiased in this matter.
5. MOST IMPORTANTLY, support level 1 through financial contributions. This includes buying past and current movies, t-shirts, beanies, hoodies, everything.
6. If any of you young guns know a hot shot lawyer who is willing to donate their time to Level 1's cause, get it on this site, tweet Level 1, whatever, to help them out. I'm sure they are lawyered up already, but hey, we're hear to help if need be.
7. Don't buy WME sponsored product (that includes Jeep, General Mills, etc.).
note that this should only be implemented if WME decides to move forward legally to seek financial damages from Level 1!!!!
YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH, USE IT! As long as you do not impose a clear and present danger, you are legally entitled to voice your opinion (politely.)
The more professional and logical we are, the more converts we win, and the more we hurt the bottom line of an organization that has lost touch with one of its key customer bases.
Lets ensure WME will feel the pain if they pursue this lawsuit.
Proud Member of Sigma Phi Epsilon
THE GAME: you just lost it.