ATHLETES DESCEND ON AUSTRIA FOR RED BULL SPEEDRIDE
(Deutsche version im Anhang)
speedriding pioneers and stars will fly into St Anton am Arlberg, in
the heart of the Austrian Alps on January 21st, 2008 for the first
international Red Bull Speedride big mountain event.
is a combination of skiing, flying and speed, with a large dose of
adrenaline thrown in for good measure. Athletes rapidly descend
mountain pistes wearing skis and using a small paraglider to propel
them to frightening speeds, which often exceed 80km/h.
glider’s controls, the pros can reduce speed, increase lift and utilise
obstacles and ground irregularities to jump over cliffs tens of metres
high or soar for long distances just a few metres over the surface.
and newcomers alike now have the possibility to experience speedriding
at close range at the first Red Bull Speedride in St. Anton am Arlberg,
which starts on January 21st.
The world-class speedriders taking
part will get the chance to prove their credentials over two runs on
the Mattun Mountain. Athletes themselves will judge their competitors’
runs using video material, according to the following criteria: choice
of line, skiing and flying skills, energy and smoothness of the run and
‘touch and go’ creativity. The best three riders will be chosen to
compete in a super final on January 23rd on the Hoher Riffler Peak, the
starting point of which is only accessible by helicopter.
taking part include Francois Bon, the former ski instructor from France
and one of speedriding’s pioneers. He will be joined by 16 other
participants from a total of five nations including the legendary
Spaniard Felix Rodriguez, winner of the Red Bull Vertigo paragliding
competition from 2000-2005 and multi-time world acro-paragliding
The Swiss challenge is headed by 2007 national
champion Dominique Steffen, while Christian Amon and Helmut Eichholzer
are just two of a total five Austrian competitors. The American
contingent consists of Matt Gerdes, Carson Klein as well as base
jumper, wingsuit flyer and speedriding pioneer Mike Steen.
the Winter ISPO trade fair in Munich, the same place where a
speedriding won last year's prestigious Brand New Award for most
innovative sports tool, the Red Bull Speedride winner will be presented
with his award. At 17.45 on Monday January 28th, the ISPO’s Brand New
Stage will be completely dedicated to the world's best speedriders.
Red Bull Speedride: full list of competitors
• Antoine Montant, FRA (Speedriding Pioneer, Vice World Champion in Acro Paragliding)
• François Bon, FRA (Speedriding Pioneer, Acro Paraglider, Skydiver, BASE. Jumper, Eiger & Mont Blanc Premiere)
• David Eyraud, FRA (Speedriding Pioneer, second at the SpeedflyingPro 07)
• Pierre Malbet, FRA
• Felix Rodriguez, ESP (Multi World Champion in Acro Paragliding, Winner of the Red Bull VERTIGO 2000-2005)
• Matt Gerdes, USA (Paraglider, Skydiver, Ski-Base Jumper)
• Carson Klein, USA (Paraglider, Speedriding Pioneer)
• Mike Steen, USA (Paraglider, Base Jumper, Wingsuit Flyer, Speedriding Pioneer)
• Mathias Roten, SUI (Acro Paraglider, Winner of Valfréjus 2007)
• Dominique Steffen, SUI (Acro Paraglider, Winner of the Syncro world cup, Swiss Champion 2007)
• Ueli Gegenschatz, SUI (Base Jumper, Paraglider, Wingsuit Flyer)
• Gaël Amman, SUI (second at Zinal Mauler Cup Speedriding, 5th at the SpeedflyingPro 07)
• Christian Amon, AUT (Paraglider, Speedriding Pioneer, Winner of the Red Bull Dolomitenmann 2005)
• Helmut Eichholzer, AUT (Paraglider, 4th at the Red Bull X-Alps 2005)
• Simon Penz, AUT (Paraglider, Speedriding Pioneer)
• Max Biederman, AUT (Paraglider, Speedriding Pioneer)
• Daniel Kofler, AUT (Paraglider, Speedriding Pioneer)
In case of poor weather, two reserve days have been planned.
Further information and details on the event and the participants on www.redbull.com/speedride