1) What is your budget? How much money can you spend right away, and do you think you can get more money to invest in the future?
*looking to spend ~750$ for camera body and lens/lenses, that is a little flexible though. I could spend more in the future but want a body that will last for a bit so I could just upgrade lenses.
2) What experience do you already have with cameras? Have you ever even used one before? Have you helped your friend out with his camera? Have you owned your own?
*I have only owned point & shoot cameras and a gopro.
2) What gear, if any, do you currently have? (tripod, old camera lenses, mics, etc)
*I've got a crappy tripod and the new gopro that i'd use for follow cams, etc.
4) What are you planning to shoot and how do you want to use your camera? Are you going to use this with the sole purpose of shooting skiing? or do you think you might try other stuff as well (movies, documentaries, short films, etc)
*I plan on shooting almost all outdoor things including skiing, hiking, fishing, biking. I'd like to able to take good stills also though.
5) Do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
*Yes, when filming I'd like to be able to pass it around with a crew who are also new to filming
6) When filming skiing, how do you tend to shoot? (follow cams, leave it on record on a tripod and hike, film from a tripod, etc)
*I'd mostly hike and film and I'd like to get a fisheye to get rail clips, but I'd also like to invest in a tripod and long lens and get into that.
7) What computer do you currently have/use to edit (if not currently editing, what would you most likely use)? If you can provide specifics, such as hard drive space, RAM, processor size, that would be great.
*I currently have a surface which won't even run chrome without slowing down, so I am planning on buying my brothers PC which has a few tb of hard drive storage along with 256gb ssd, 16gb of ram, a gtx 970 and I think a intel i5, not sure which i5 though.
7) What program do you currently edit on? How familiar are you with it (1- just learning; 10- I can make tutorials and know the keyboard layout)
*Looking into it, I'd probably use davinci resolve, I am new to that program though.
I've started looking into it a bit, and I think I'd like to go with a mirrorless cam for portability. some cameras that I'm thinking about are the sony a6000 or a6300 if I can find a deal, lumix gh3 or g7( I've heard gh3 is outdated compared to g7 though?). also thoughts on a canon body?(5d or 7d). I like the look of camcorders but right now I want a camera that can take quality pics also so that might be for in the future. Am completely open to new suggestions though.