Hey guys, I'll be driving up to the JH/GT area for president's day weekend. Snow is in the forecast and the place will likely be packed, so I expect stuff to get tracked pretty quickly. I'm a first timer, so I'm looking for some advice.
I'm interested in spending one day at GT, one at JH and one day touring. And like everyone else out there, I like powder.
My thinking so far is that:
- The best powder day/most fresh snow day out of the 3 days I should probably be at Grand Targhee as it seems to have little crowds and the best odds of being able to get fresh turns all day.
- The best day weather-wise should probably be spent touring so it's nice out and I'll get fresh turns anyway.
- The remaining day will be JH, I'm not really counting on being able to get a lot of fresh turns due to the crowds, but I'll get to enjoy their great terrain.
Does that sound like a good plan? Or would you do anything different.
And more specifically:
- Any recommended itinerary/lifts/runs within JH/GT to find some powder? Any locals secrets you'd be willing to share? (if not openly in the thread, a PM is fine too :) )
- Any recommendations for a nice half-day to short day tour in Grand Teton NP? Due to the snowfalls the avy conditions will probably be dicey so we'll probably be looking for something safe, low angle, and would love some nice views.