style n. Pronunciation Key: (stÓl)
1. The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed: a style of speech and writing.
2. The combination of distinctive features of literary or artistic expression, execution, or performance characterizing a particular person, group, school, or era.
3. Sort; type: a style of furniture.
4. A quality of imagination and individuality expressed in one's actions and tastes: does things with style.
a. A comfortable and elegant mode of
existence: living in style.
b. A mode of living: the style of the very
a. The fashion of the moment, especially of
b. A particular fashion: the style of the
1920s. See Synonyms at fashion.
7. A customary manner of presenting printed material, including usage, punctuation, spelling, typography, and arrangement.
8. A form of address; a title.
a. An implement used for etching or
b. A slender pointed writing instrument
used by the ancients on wax tablets.
10. The needle of a phonograph.
11. The gnomon of a sundial.
12. Botany. The usually slender part of a pistil, situated between the ovary and the stigma.
13. Zoology. A slender, tubular, or bristlelike process: a cartilaginous style.
14. Medicine. A surgical probing instrument; a stylet.
15. Obsolete. A pen.