1) You are asking me to quantify something such as people being put into danger which obviously is not a quantifiable variable. While I cannot give you a statistic that says homeowners are any safer by owning one (that is ridiculous) I can give you examples where An AR-15 style weapon helped save lives. I have yet to hear a straight answer regarding this next question though. If the AWB which expired in 2004 would have been reinstated, would Sandy Hook or the Aurora shooting have been prevented? I will answer that for you and that answer is no.
2) Lets get something straight AR-15's aren't Assault Weapons they are Semi Automatic Rifles. One trigger pull one bullet, not one trigger pull 30 bullets there is a difference. I refuse to buy into the media hype of having a pistol grip on a rifle makes it any more dangerous than any other Semi Auto Rifle without one. In all the media's years of experience with guns.......not, they might as well come after Springfield M1A's (Seen Below) and any other Semi-Auto style rifles because they must be so dangerous. Ridiculous
3) I am well aware of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and I am also well aware of the lack in reduction of violent crime. Why would a drop in "Assault Weapon" related murders during the 1994 ban be anything surprising? Criminals just turn to other weapons they can easily access, this doesn't do anything to curb violent crime, criminals just switch tools. For the 100th time, you cannot legislate public safety by removing certain firearms from law abiding citizens. This is clearly not the case as you see the highest violent crime rates in gun free zones, and in areas that have the highest gun ownership are the safest regarding violent crime.
I guess I must just be regurgitating someone else's opinion and calling it my own, so don't take my word for it here's all the gun related stats you are looking for.
4) Magazine limitation is a pitiful attempt at making society safer? You really think that a criminal about to go postal is going to follow these laws? Unless you physically remove all magazines in circulation over 10 rounds criminals will still have access to large capacity magazines. For the 101st time, you cannot legislate safety by limiting firearms or the magazines used.
5) The reason the majority of gun owners do not want AR-15 style rifles banned is because it is an infringement upon our second amendment rights. It has not been proven to reduce violent crime so hypothetically speaking if another AWB was enacted and violent crime continued to increase, the Dianne Feinstein's of the world will be hot on the trail to ban handguns because they are the culprit of most gun related murders and it becomes a vicious cycle. That is why people do not want their 2nd Amendment rights infringed upon regarding AR-15's.
Adam Lanza didn't even use his AR-15 in the Sandy Hook shooting he left it in the car and used 4 handguns so the media is just hopping on the backs of dead children and trying to capitalize on any opportunity to ram through anti gun legislation. This can easily be seen as New York rushed through gun legislation that forgot to remove police officers from the 7 round magazine limit. It is pretty sick to think about using the deaths of children to ram through anti gun agendas.
I fail to see how I need to be educated on guns in America.