1) What is your budget? How much money can you spend right away, and do you think you can get more money to invest in the future?
2) What experience do you already have with cameras? Have you ever even used one before? Have you helped your friend out with his camera? Have you owned your own?
-Some experience, like 4/10 with 10 being an expert.
2) What gear, if any, do you currently have? (tripod, old camera lenses, mics, etc)
-Some canon lenses, not much though.
4) What are you planning to shoot and how do you want to use your camera? Are you going to use this with the sole purpose of shooting skiing? or do you think you might try other stuff as well (movies, documentaries, short films, etc)
-skiing, probably some other short films and stuff too.
5) Do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
-it would be nicety be able to hand it to them without explaining anything. I wouldn't mind explaining it to them though, and we'll ski together all season anyways.
6) When filming skiing, how do you tend to shoot? (follow cams, leave it on record on a tripod and hike, film from a tripod, etc)
7) What computer do you currently have/use to edit (if not currently editing, what would you most likely use)? If you can provide specifics, such as hard drive space, RAM, processor size, that would be great.
-windows 7 premium, 2.8ghz dual core processor, 6gb ram, 300gb harddrive space.
7) What program do you currently edit on? How familiar are you with it (1- just learning; 10- I can make tutorials and know the keyboard layout)
iMovie, and I'm trying to learn Sony Vegas.
---------------------------Optional Section, for those seeking a more intensive upgrade/purchase------------------------
1) Do you think you might consider using a DSLR?
2) Do you have any knowledge about the HDSLRS?
3) Do you know the limitations to using HDSLRS?
4) Are you willing to take the time to learn about a DSLR, and how to shoot with manual lenses?
-yes if it helps make me better at filming.
5) Again, do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
-I'd like to be able to hand it to them.