Yesterday I noticed there was some mold in the hose of my bladder - which is not detachable. I googled how to clean it, and it seems the common answer is bleach or to purchase their cleaning kit. I feel like bleach would be my last resort since its well, toxic. Other choices were vinegar, which I tried last night and got no where. At least the vinegar smell/taste didn't linger. Other ideas were flavorless denture tabs, and just hot soapy water. Has anyone had success with any other methods?
what i learned to use was denture claning solution. fill your entire camelbak with water then dissolve a couple denture cleaning tablets in it, and let the bag hang for a day. flush it out completely after and it should be good :)
I ended up getting frustrated and it turns out that the mouth piece was removable - I unwired a coat hanger and duct taped a piece of paper towel on the end with soap, and cleaned it all out. Was able to do the mouthpiece too. Its now clean and hanging to dry.
Storing it in the freezer will guarantee that nothing will grow in it. Just remember, after you pull it out, let it unthaw for a bit. You could crack the plastic if you start throwing it around right away.
And if you have the room, you can store it with a little water in it, so you'll have some nice ice water for you adventure.