So my birthday was yesterday, and I think I'm opting for a new camera instead of skis. I want a camera that will do both still photography and hd video for a reasonable price, so right now I'm looking at the Sony NEX-5. But I'm no expert so I wanted to know if there was something else i should be looking at. I know the new Rebel has 1080p hd video, but that is sort of out of my price range. Here's my questionnaire.
1) What is your budget? How much money can you spend right away, and do
you think you can get more money to invest in the future?
$600-$800, I will be able to invest more in the future but not this winter
2) What experience do you already have with cameras? Have you ever even
used one before? Have you helped your friend out with his camera? Have
you owned your own?
I've some experience with still film cameras and digital slrs. I'm somewhat used to my roommate's VX2000 and I've used a plethora of other camcorders in my AV tech career.
2) What gear, if any, do you currently have? (tripod, old camera lenses, mics, etc)
4) What are you planning to shoot and how do you want to use your
camera? Are you going to use this with the sole purpose of shooting
skiing? or do you think you might try other stuff as well (movies,
documentaries, short films, etc)
I will be shooting both skiing, short films, and documentaries.
5) Do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or
could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be
doing all the filming?
It would be nice to hand the camera to a friend to shoot me, but it needn't be totally moron proof.
6) When filming skiing, how do you tend to shoot? (follow cams, leave it
on record on a tripod and hike, film from a tripod, etc)
I usually record with or without tripod, but rarely follow cams.
7) What computer do you currently have/use to edit (if not currently
editing, what would you most likely use)? If you can provide specifics,
such as hard drive space, RAM, processor size, that would be great.
I have a macbook pro
7) What program do you currently edit on? How familiar are you with it
(1- just learning; 10- I can make tutorials and know the keyboard
I use final cut, i'd say I'm about a 5 with it.