I am in a Public Relations class for which we have to pick a public issue and do a little PR campaign on an aspect of it. I am doing it on Fred Jones, WSI, and the affects it will have on Big Mountain and the community at large.
For the project, we have to write, distriubute and analyze a survery. I chose you guys because, straight up, you are the skiers. You are the ones the changes will affect. You are what the sport is about.
I would LOVE it if you would take a second to fill out the survey. If you have suggestions as to what a better/necessary question would be, please leave them. I'm actually from a surf town in California, so I am doing purely out of the newfound love I have for Big Moutain. I am not a local, so if I am missing a major point or concern, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.
Thank you so much!
For my first project, I am going to analyze the public opinion on Fred Jones, president of Winter Sports Inc. and “new” owner of Big Mountain. Particularly, what they think about the changes he has already proposed or made. I am going to try to inform the public about the changes he has and will continue to change. In my personal opinion, this guy is a bummer. That being said, I hope my research and the project as a whole will help the public reach concensus that Big Mountain started in the community and needs to be designed around the skiers, not the potential to attract tourists. The skiers own the mountain, end of story.
1. How do you feel about the changing of the name of Big Mountain to Whitefish Valley Resort?
2. Why do you think the name change was made?
3. If the half pipe was to be destroyed, what would you do?
1. Nothing, I don’t ride it.
2. Be bummed, but ride different features.
3. Find a new one at a different mountain.
4. Be happy; terrain parks aren’t what skiing is about.
4. Do you feel that there is too much emphasis on real estate development? Yes No
5. Do you know much about the acquisition of the mountain?
2. Yes, but I have no opinion on it.
3. Yes, and I thought it was fair.
4. Yes, and I thought it was unethical of Mr. Jones and unfair to the people of
6. Aside from the estimated $6.8 million being invested in revamping Chair 1, 2, and eventually 6, do you think the $20 million changes are going in the right development?
7. Please list some of the changes you know of that are being made:
8. Do you think that the resort needs this facelift?
1. Yes, it is too “rough” for my taste.
2. Yes, some of the older features (like Chairs 1 and 2 and/or the base village)
need to be re-done.
3. No, the mountain started in the community and should stay that way.
4. No, because the changes proposed aren’t the ones we need.
9. On a scale of 1 (being not at all) to 10 (being extremely), how much will these changes affect you? If you feel like it, include a brief reason why.
10. Are you concerned with the cost of lift tickets and living in the area in general going up? Please specify which costs in particular you are worried about. (Food, lift tickets, hotel rental prices, equipment rental prices, et cetera.)