Thanks! Both of these were shot entirely with one HMC150 sprinkled with a few GoPro shots, everything operated by me.
For organization/color coding, I've kind of bounced around a bit from project to project. In Episode 6, I individually named each clip and colored them accordingly, but in Ep 7 that would have taken WAY too long to do. Like you said, it really comes down to what works best for you. When I used to edit in FCP7, I would individually name every shot and subclip and then display my entire list of shots conditionally sorted by: support (glidecam, handheld, tripod, slider, etc.), location (stage right, stage left, etc.), scene (headline DJs, crowd, lobby, etc.), and then name (ex: 'swoop up right over girl in green shirt'). This worked very well for me for years...until switching to Premiere Pro.... PP does not sort conditionally. When sorting clips (to my knowledge), you can only sort by one criteria at a time. As a result, I have moved more toward a folder/bin sorting structure that emulates the same organizational system, but way less efficiently.
The bins I create for these videos generally consist of the same handful of folders and then add or subtract a few depending on individual projects. I'll use RRR Ep 7 as an example. This is roughly the folder setup I created per day/event.
- DJ Detonate / Max Baun (depending on the event)
- Stage Right
- Stage Left
- In Crowd
Then, within the actual folders, I used colors to identify the type of shot / content. For these projects:
Orange = BTS
Pink = Headline w/ DJs as the focus
Blue = Crowd
Green = Opening set
Purple (in Ep 6) = VIP Crowd
Dull Blue = default color / I didn't change the color (seen in the first half of Ep 6 and all GoPro shots)
So the folders are used to find the shots and the colors are used primarily to keep track of them on the timeline. I personally am very visually driven, so segmenting by color helps keep track of how the piece is coming together to make sure there is a healthy balance of different "types" of shots.
I took a little initiative and reached out to GB last summer about the idea of possibly creating a cohesive video platform for them. We met and did some brainstorming, which ultimately resulted in their concept of the "Rage Rinse Repeat" series.