First I pay myself. Usually about 40% of my paycheck which splits up into food, gas, and when I get my next paycheck, the leftover amount goes into my "spending fund" which I use to buy expensive shit. Now that its summer and I no longer have books to pay for its up to around 60% of each paycheck goes to myself and the other 40% in savings. Probably going to be saving a lot more soon as I am going to start looking for a new job where my wage is now clamped at $12.50 because I'm a guy. (Bullshit if you ask me.)
Thats my routine and its been working well. I've found that little things to save money go a long ways like couponing to save money for food and stuff like that. I can see significant amounts of excess money going into my spending fund when I focus on little things to save money.