I'm a video production major that hasn't shot video in over 2 years - terrible, I know. Having to take required courses these past few semesters has left me out of the loop regarding camera products and news, so I need to be brought up to date. A lot of internships i've been looking at want to see some examples of your work, and I think it's time I get back into shooting to refine my skills and learn new things
1) What is your budget? How much money can you spend right away, and do you think you can get more money to invest in the future?
Under $600 for now, totally willing/planning to invest more money in the future.
2) What experience do you already have with cameras? Have you ever even used one before? Have you helped your friend out with his camera? Have you owned your own?
Owned and shot with a DVX from around September 09- September ’10. Currently in school for video production but haven’t shot anything outside of a studio since 2010.
3) What gear, if any, do you currently have? (tripod, old camera lenses, mics, etc)
4) What are you planning to shoot and how do you want to use your camera? Are you going to use this with the sole purpose of shooting skiing? or do you think you might try other stuff as well (movies, documentaries, short films, etc)
Unfortunately I don't get to ski much anymore so I won't be filming that, but I hope to use the camera for everything including sports and event coverage (clubs/festivals), instructional videos, class projects, interviews, and anything else possible
5) Do you want a camera that you can hand to your friends, that could or could not have film experience, and let them shoot you? or will you be doing all the filming?
I will most likely be doing all the filming so this doesn’t matter to me
6) When filming skiing, how do you tend to shoot? (follow cams, leave it on record on a tripod and hike, film from a tripod, etc)
The season I filmed, I shot mainly follow cams and handheld footage
7) What computer do you currently have/use to edit (if not currently editing, what would you most likely use)? If you can provide specifics, such as hard drive space, RAM, processor size, that would be great.
Desktop- i7-2600k @ 3.4, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive
8) What program do you currently edit on? How familiar are you with it (1- just learning; 10- I can make tutorials and know the keyboard layout)
Premiere; 5 out of 10
---------------------------Optional Section, for those seeking a more intensive upgrade/purchase------------------------
1) Do you think you might consider using a DSLR?
2) Do you have any knowledge about the HDSLRS?
3) Do you know the limitations to using HDSLRS?
Somewhat, would like to hear more
4) Are you willing to take the time to learn about a DSLR, and how to shoot with manual lenses?
As far as I know it might not even be a good time for me to buy, so let me know whatever you guys think. Thanks for any help!