Welcome to our new beta design! Click here to go back to the old Newschoolers.
How it actually works:
1. Dude gets injured and has medical bills such that they are unpayable and cannot afford his wheelchair and physical therapy. His fault for being careless or not, he's not going to drag himself around on his hands.
2. Dude seeks indemnification by suing ski resort.
3. Ski resort, which maintains expensive liability insurance, goes to insurance company.
4. Insurance company defends the lawsuit, settles with Dude, and pays him on behalf of ski resort.
5. Ski resort's insurance premiums increase.