The satirical American pundit – and star of Comedy Central's The Colbert Report – has previously called on his legions of fans to get a bridge in Hungary named after him. And who could forget his 'Hail To The Cheese Stephen Colbert's Nacho Cheese Doritos 2008 Presidential Campaign?'

Now, Colbert claims he wants to be Canadian.

Shocking. The man who wrote the book I Am America: And So Can You is supposedly in the process of filing for Canadian citizenship.

"Nation, I am about to break a lot of hearts," said Colbert. "I am going to become a Canadian citizen. With the decline of Canada's polar bear population, it's finally safe to live there."

Is this just a publicity stunt, or could Colbert actually be trading in the Stars and Stripes for double doubles and Corner Gas?

Between political corruption, private scandals, and our country's recent political shift to the right, Canada could actually be the ideal nesting ground for the faux-Republican pundit, says analyst Jane Bromst.

"Colbert loved Bush," she says. "He would adore Harper - there would be so much material to work with. He might even need to make his show an hour long."

Colbert has already shown an affinity for most things Canadian. He appears to be a hockey fan, even going so far as convincing a minor league hockey team to name their mascot "Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle."

However, before Colbert finalizes the Canadian citizen application process, there are a few outstanding items that will need to be addressed.