my friend wrote this, well put and humorous. very worth reading especially if you are anti-gay marraige.
A couple arguments that keep getting thrown around that I am voicing my opinion on.
How does banning gay marriage "protect the family"? I think Lewis Black made a good point here, the Gay Banditos (youtube it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-id4GKsaQk
). For those not familiar with it, he asks the same question I did, but continues on about a group of gay men who go around and terrorize families by having gay sex in front of them.
Has this ever happened? No.
Gay marriage doesn't do anything to "destroy the family". Your family will be the exact same today as they were yesterday if gays are aloud to marry. In fact some might even be happier. If anyone's family will fall apart because two people who love each other are aloud to marry your family has much bigger issues.
Fact: Gay marriage isn't the "gateway marriage" that will lead onto people marrying animals and in some arguments I have heard, inanimate objects. Look at any country that has legalized it. Not a single one allows marriage to animals. But where it is aloud there is a severally lower amount of AIDS.
Gay parents will not have gay babies. One: two guys/girls can't have a baby. Two: Gay parents who adopt or have a child wont raise a gay baby. If it was true that gay parents raise gay children wouldn't it also be true that straight parents would raise straight children? If that were true wouldn't there be no gay children?
The old "gays are unnatural" fight. Recently a series of genes were discovered that nearly every gay person has. It is being said that this will cause a child to be gay. This may or may not be true because we don't fully understand how genes work in this sense. If it is true, being gay would be just as much a choice as skin color, height, and eye color. Point two, there are gay animals. I'm not going to get into details on this but there are over 70 mammal species where gay couples have been discovered, and every primate group (apes, orangutans, chimps, etc.) fall into that category.
Gays destroy the sanctity of marriage. I think straight people have done that just fine. Drive through weddings, day later annulments, the "if it doesn't work we can always get a divorce" attitude. Which of those helps preserve the sanctity of marriage?
Religious freedom. There are many churches and religions that fully support gay marriage. Shouldn't everyone in this country get to exercise the same religious freedom?
1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control are not natural.
2. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people cannot get legally married because the world needs more children.
3. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children because straight parents only raise straight children.
4. Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.
5. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and it hasn't changed at all: women are property, Blacks can't marry Whites, and divorce is illegal.
6. Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.
7. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are always imposed on the entire country. That's why we only have one religion in America.
8. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall.
9. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage license.
10. Children can never succeed without both male and female role models at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.
11. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.
12. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages will for gays & lesbians.