Welcome to the Newschoolers forums! You may read the forums as a guest, however you must be a registered member to post.
Register to become a member today!
Anthem or Chronic
hey guys, I am looking for a new ski for this season and pretty much brought it down to 2 skis, the line anthem or the chronic. I will be riding park 70% of the time and running trees the other 30% but I also plan on going out west for a week this winter and would like a ski that would be suitable.
I am 6'2 and weigh 170pounds, ride in the east coast and am a pretty good skier (planning on learning my 5's this year)
I would go with the anthem because it's a bit wider and is a true center mount, but then again I want to be able to ski everywhere with the ski and I am scared that the anthem will not keep up.
On the other hand, I know that the chronic would be awesome in the trees, but can it hold it's own in the park? Isn't too stiff to be a park ski? I just don't want them too feel like my PE's
the chronic is a park ski. blends are not. i would get blends over anthems. 100 under foot. stiffer then anthems so they will kill on jumps. and they can hold their own when you go out west
^ yeah blends would be a good choice... even last year's model would be good (90 something mm waist i believe).
"... french girls say oui... spanish girls say aaay papi"
chronics are a park ski. the flex is better than your (lifeless) public enemies, but stiff enough to hold all mountain. the anthem is dope, and personally i think underrated as an all mountain ski. it is buttery, and playful, so if u like that in a ski, you'll be golden.
last years blends may be your best bet. like the name says, its a blend of park (chronic) and all mountain (prophetes). itll work wonders in the park and the trees, and when u head out west, it wont be horrible if you get real snow.
Does that mean that in order of "stiffness" it would be blends, chronics, anthems? Because I don't want a ski that is too stiff for the park, but I don' want a noodle when i will be out of the park ( witch I am scared that the anthem will turn out to be)
i would say get rossi brigades or s5 (same ski). 98mm waist, rossi pro riders shred big ak lines and pow with it yet also hit the park and pipe on the same ski.
Personally, I would say get the chronics. Seeing as you're an east coast skier (as am I) you're probably not going to need a very wide ski. I think you would want a narrower ski if you want to shred all mountain. I don't think that Chronics are specifically park skis, I think they shred in the park but are great all mountain too. I almost got Silencers because they're stiff and narrow, which make for great skis on east coast ice. Im sure whatever ski you get will perform great. My friend got anthems and he loves them, but personally, my vote goes for the chronics.
chronics were made for the east
the new chronic is stiffer than last years blend. the widewall on the chronic has def made it burlier than in the past.
honestly, you can make either of those do whatever u want them to do. If i can take a pair of true centered jo pros that are 77 underfoot straight from the park to the trees and ski pow on them u can do it too. now im not saying they r my first choice for anything other than groomers and the park, they will still work.....actually trees werent too bad on those either.......
order of stiffness starting from soft to stiff (plus underfoot)
anthem(93) - new blend(100) - new chronic(85) - old blend(90) - old chronic(80)
SO, if I want a soft park ski that will be able to do all mountain riding, best go with the new blend? Wont a 100mm waist be too much for the east coast?
surface watchlife in the 183 cm. no too stiff and definetly not a noodle
i'm from ohio and i haven't owned a park ski that was under 90mm for the past 3 years. so if you're east coast (not midwest like me) i'd say you'd be stoked on the extra width. but it sounds like you're a bit hesitant so i'd probably steer you more towards the blends from 07/08 and prior which have a 90mm waist instead of the 100mm new blend. the 07/08 blends were my park skis for a good portion of last season and they worked great. and their flex/shape makes them absolute rippers for all mountain (they're basically the prophet 90 sans the layer of metal. the ski was an award winner from a lot of ski magazines as a great all mountain tool. the blend is just a bit softer so it rips park too).
Alright, now it is down to three skis. the chronic and the blend just don't seem like the skis I need so I looked up a bit of stuff and am debating on the STL's, T-hall and the anthems
All times are Eastern (-4)