You are to draw a mechanical or engineering device of your own choice. The device must have at least 5 different
components. The device can be an existing product or one you have designed for a purpose.
Check with your teacher to ensure your choice is suitable.
Part A – Planning Due:
• Give a brief description of the mechanical device that
you are drawing
• Draw a neat pictorial sketch of the assembled
• Neatly sketch each component showing all
• Sketch and describe the process of making each
component. This will include a number of sketches for
each component. See Dovetail slide Fig 2. Use
comments to assist the process.
Part B – Drawings on CAD Due:
• Draw a 3D model of each component using Autodesk
• Assemble each component to show the complete 3D model of the mechanical device. Printout required.
• Orthographic: Draw an orthographic projection of the assembled mechanical device. Subtitle each view and show most dimensions. Show an extra feature in the drawing eg., detailed view; auxiliary view etc.
• Show a sectional view and material list of the mechanical device.
• Display a rendered 3D Model. You may either render by hand or on computer.
Computer rendering must be
printed to a high quality. Consider Texture, Tone, Contrast, Colour and shadow.
• Use all AS1100 standards: Borders, Lines, Titles, Lettering, etc. Use correct printing sizes
• Create and print an Open in line for assembly: Position each 3D component in line.
• Animate the open and in line for assembly drawing and save as an animated file.
Drawings should include:
1. 3D model – Rendered
2. Orthographic views with extra feature – dimensioned and subtitled.
3. Sectional view and material list
4. Open and in line for assembly
5. Animated assembly drawing