this was taken from rottentomatoes.com . i did not write this but i agree with it
1) seeing a 12-year-old masturbating after seeing his sister undress, a disturbing scene that is not even necessary for the plot, and the Japanese girl, forcing a dentist to molest her. I understand that she is lonely, but how desperate can you get?.
2) I understand that we are supposed to feel bad for these people, but I didnít. It is not because I am a psychopath, but because most of the bad stuff that happened was due to the stupidity of the characters, and not some kind of misunderstanding.
Here are some examples:
1) Giving your son a rifle, and telling him to go and shoot something, doesnít lead to good results. If you are stupid enough to do that, I shouldnít feel sorry for you when the police comes to ask questions
2) If you are an illegal immigrant, having lived in an English-speaking country for sixteen years, and you canít speak English, you have a problem. Again, I shouldnít feel sorry for you,
3) If you are an illegal immigrant, and you like it in the US, coming back to mexico with two kids, isnít a great idea. Did you think that the US government will let you go through when you come back?
4) Letting your drunk relative drive you. This has nothing to do with communication. Alcohol and gasoline do not mix, if you drink and drive, donít be surprised that things donít work out too well.
5) if you are trying to get into the us, and you are an illegal immigrant, crossing at a border checkpoint isnít the smartest way to do it. How many illegal immigrant come to the us thru border checkpoints. See my point?
6) if you canít pass a regular check at a border control, running away, isnít very smart. Running away from police in general doesnít work in most cases.
7) Leaving an old woman and 2 kids in the middle of the desert with no food is a very ďsmartĒ idea. Even if you were planning to come back, how are they supposed to last that long?
8) Hiring an illegal immigrant to take care of your kids and than leaving your kids with that nanny, while you go to a different country.
9) expecting the US government, to save your *** because you decided that a trip into rural morocco is very safe.
10) when the police has you surrounded, and it is shooting at you, and when you are in a middle eastern country, trying to escape is a bad idea. IF you get shot, you shouldnít be surprised. Also, shooting back at the police usually makes them angry, making the police angry isnít good for your health.
And other acts of stupidity from the characters
3) the links between the stories are total BS. Letís go thru with this. Whatís the connection between the drunk Mexican and the deaf Japanese girl? Iím glad you asked, so here we go: the Japanese girl has a father, who went to morocco to hunt, who gave his gun to the tour guide, who sold it to a friend, who gave it to his son, who shot a bus, whose bullet hit a lady, who is married to brad pitt and who has kids living in Los Angeles, who have a nanny from Mexico, who hasa nephew who got drunk and decided to drive to the us from mexico.
You have got to be a genius to think of this connection.
4) way too long. If you cut this movie in half it would still feel overstretched and long. What was to point, of the drugged and drunk Japanese girl jumping around for 10 minutes?
5) Horrible acting
6) Horrible plot. Other than the stupid characters, why is it important that the couple has lost a kid? Who cares that the Japanese girl plays volleyball? Why do we need to know that the 12-year old masturbates after seeing his sister? How realistic is that a Japanese cop would ask the father about a gun found in mexico?
7) the only movie that I saw people leaving in the middle. I also wanted to leave, but because I paid for those tickets, and because I wanted to see if it will get better I stayed. I should have left.
Again, I have no idea why this c***p had been nominated for 7 academy awards, when a better film, like the prestige was only nominated to two