No we didn't say "Fuck Skiing" so don't pass off your option as our's at Boreal.
It came down to simply a financial reason that we couldn't afford the cash purse for skiing. The first year event we spent 80% of our budget on cash purse and 20% on the actual event. We found out that with size of the crowd that came out that we needed to invest more into the actual running of the event to make it better and safer for year 2 as well as investing more into the venue to make it better for the riders. Things like adding more lights, having the whole base lodge open, hiring a professional sercuity crew, tripling the size of the staff from the mountain on hand, paying 5 times more money for better snow that we had to get trucked in from SF (the same stuff used at Icer Air), spending a ton of money on scaffolding, spending money on a manlift so riders didn't have to climb stairs to top every run ..etc... . When we added everything up the tables were reversed and we were looking at spending 80% on the event leaving only 20% for the cash purse. Tough decsions had to be made. We tried to get sponsors but NO ONE would help. Yes, Liberty stepped to the plate and saved the skiing event. But it was every other ski company that said as you put it "Fuck Skiing"..Not one single company showed any interest at all except Liberty. I'm sorry but when the top three biggest ski companies in the world only offer a pair of skis and some hoodies for a pro comp and expect tents, banners, logo on posters, name on radio ads in return...that to me says "fuck skiing".
Our goal was to put on a better event for the second year and there was no way to do that and maintain cash purse equally for board and ski. It's fact that we only had X amount of money to spend, I wish we had more but we didn't. I wish I could tell you how much we spent on that event.. it would really open your eyes to the reality of business in the ski/snowboard world.
Director Jibassic Parks Tahoe